Monday, July 30, 2012

Paci Free

I don't even really know how this happened. It was so fast and abrupt.

One day last week, Charlie and I were watching Sesame Street during breakfast. It was all about them trying to get one character to give up their pacifier so they were showing how Elmo did it. Who knew Elmo had a pacifier?

Anyway, I had always said I would try getting rid of the paci around 18 months. I just wanted to be rid of it by 2 years so I figured that would be plenty of time. Well, after getting the idea in my head (thanks PBS), I thought why not try it out now. If it's awful, then she's not ready, and we can wait. But why not at least try. So before Jason brought her home from school, I rounded up all the pacis I could find, and hit them in a cabinet. That night, we did our normal bedtime routine, with the exception of the paci, and she did great. The next day, I let her school know the plan. I left a paci there, for emergencies, but that was it.
Paci round up. There were a couple in the cars I had to find later, but this is the majority.

So far she has gone every night without a pacifier. She did have the paci one day at daycare during her nap because they said she just would not lay down for a nap. But the other days she did great. I was worried about going to EC for the weekend without her paci. But she didn't have it ONCE the whole time we were there (not even in the car). I still  have the paci at daycare, but I plan to take it home by the end of this week.

I'm so thankful that this has been much easier than expected, and it's one less thing I have to worry about later! I was worried that she would really be missing the paci since she is teething so bad, but she found a new thing to teeth on - her bed. When we got back to town yesterday, I ran out to Buy Buy Baby to buy a crib rail bumper so she can do anymore damage.

Not too much damage, but I didn't want to take my chances
In other news, Charlie has been walking like crazy over the weekend. She is really getting good at it. I'm ready for her to be a full time walker so she can start wearing shoes. I still send her to daycare barefoot most days because I feel like the shoes hinder her learning on the walking. But as soon as she masters the barefoot walking, it's time for some shoes!

She is also getting a lo of hair. It's really curly in the back. I noticed how long it was last night during bathtime because when it got wet, it was laying flat agains her neck and running down to her back. I was like where did this hair come from? She has had such little hair for so long, I just can't picture her with a full head of hair!

She has really been entertaining lately. I'm loving this age because she is learning so much and really starting to develop a personality.

Playing at grandmas and watching the olympics.

Here she is working on her walking skills last week


Charlotte is just over 14 months.

2 comments:

  1. No paci is great, and I think all kids teeth on their bed railings, Connor did that too, but not too bad. Just another sign your baby is growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome that you guys have already gotten rid of the paci!! I think it's probably better to do it now rather than wait because once they're two, they are really attached to it. We'll see if we can do the same thing! Lucas did well not having his paci for a few days but then he got sick and I went ahead and gave it to him because it comforted him so much.

    ReplyDelete