Charlie's first 3 days were spent in the hospital so mommy could recover. I was tired and very sore. Jason changed every diaper and got up to bring her to me since I was too sore to stand up. But by Saturday, I was feeling great. The pediatrician gave Charlie the all clear and my doctor said I could go home whenever I was feeling up to it. Jason and I decided to go home Saturday night because we wanted the comforts of our own home. Jason went home to clean and prep our dog and my boss came by to visit. It was nice to see her. I've only seen her a handful of times since March, because she had a baby and actually just got back to work after her maternity leave. Nice timing huh?
Of course about 2 hours before we left the hospital, Charlotte decided to scare us to death with a crazy spit up incident. I really thought she was choking. I'm thankful that happened while we were still there though, becuase our nurse was great and showed me what to do if she did it again. That night was definitely the hardest. I heard every movement and I was so worried about her spitting up again. I don't think I slept at all. Sunday, all 4 grandparents came up to visit and then Jason's mom stayed so she could help out for a few days. She took the night shift and would just wake me up to feed Charlie. That was a big help.
Monday, we had our first doctor appointment for Charlotte. She did great (weight - 50th percentile; length - 90 percentile), but the doctor said she was slightly jaundice, so we would have to come back the next day to test again. Also, the doctor said her hips seem a little loose. Apparently the same hormone that makes mommy's pelvis separate to get ready for birth can sometimes affect the baby. Often, the problem corrects itself within 2 weeks, but the doctor wanted to schedule an ultrasound on Charlie right before her 2 week checkup. She said if there is a problem, we can catch is early enough to be corrected before it causes her pain. Ok, that was a lot for this new mom to handle. As soon as we got into the car, I broke down crying. Jason tried to calm me down, but I was just so worried about everything. I've also been super paranoid about whooping cough so Jason and I got vaccinated on the way home, and we made his mom go that afternoon. I was such an emotional mess on Monday. Our friends, Craig and Amy and their 2 little boys came by to meet Charlie and as soon as they left I took a major nap. I woke up feeling way more like myself, and less like a crazy person. Monday was also a very important day because Charlie's friend, Maggie Mae Motal, was born. We cannot wait to meet her in person eventually.
Tuesday, we went back to the doctor so Charlie could be tested for her jaundice levels, which went down (yay - no more pricked feet!!). Oh and she got weighed, and this little piglet was already 1 oz shy of being back at her birth weight! She obviously is a good eater! Jason went to work afterwards, so his mom helped out. She did so much cleaning around the house - it was awesome. Last night, I had Charlie by myself. Well, Jason was here too but since he had to travel for work today (only a day trip), we slept in the guest room because I did not want him getting tired today. It was not bad at all. I just hate it when my little girl gets the hiccups. She usually burps pretty good after feeding now, but she still spits up a bit and those hiccups are the worst. The doctor said they are just normal though, so I try not to worry about them. It's just hard to get her to settle down when she has them.
Today, my mom drove up and plans to stay with us until Friday afternoon. This is great for me because Jason is going to work until Friday at noon or so and this way I have someone around if I need to have an errand run. Remember, I'm still on modified bedrest because of the c-section. I really hate that too because I feel like I should be doing things around here. Our poor dog things I hate her by now. However, about 3 hours after my mom got here, she told me she had chills and was feeling kind of nauseaus. So I took her temperature and she was running fever. Of course, we both freaked out because we do not want Charlotte getting sick. My mom even offered to drive home. I told her there is no way she is driving while she is feeling so bad. So I quarantined her to the back bedroom and she took some tylenol. We figured it was a side effect of the whooping cough vaccine she got yesterday. I called my pediatrician to see if I should be concerned. They told me that as long as my mom isn't actually sick (and it sounds like she isn't), then Charlotte can't
get anything from her. They just want my mom to not handle the baby until she is fever free for a few hours. Aww, my poor mom. She is feeling a lot better now though and is doing housework. I'm hoping her fever breaks soon and she can hold her granddaughter again soon. Of course, I have been monitoring Charlie's temperature like a hawk. She is unfazed though.
So far motherhood has been one crazy, emotional, but totally amazing rollercoaster. And at only 6 days, I can only imagine what is to come.
Jason and I are so wrapped around this little girl's finger.
Charlotte's ultrasound and 2 week appointment are already scheduled for next week. Please send a few prayers our way.
Getting ready to go home!
Checking out my mamaroo infant seat for the first time!
This is my mad face
Such a sweet girl



Wow what an eventful week already. You are doing a great job and being a mommy there is always something to worry about. Charlie is too cute, love her "mad" face. Also be glad your blogging all the little things, because they are so quickly forgotten, I know my first few months as a new mom were/are a complete daze to me now. I wish I was blogging then.
ReplyDeleteShe is so adorable. I am a nervous wreck and I haven't even had my baby yet. I'm pretty sure every little thing is going to scare me. Glad to hear things are going better and hope her u/s comes out ok.
ReplyDeleteHang in there--it does get easier! Oh, and I went out and bought that same set of onesies for our little one...had to get some pink on her once we finally knew she was a girl! -Jenna L.
ReplyDelete