Friday, June 3, 2011

Charlotte's second week

Oh my goodness - how am I even finding the time to blog? It's because my mom and sister are here fawning over Charlie right now.

Let's see. Last weekend is a blur. Friday night, Aunt Kay Lynne and Uncle Ryan came over for a visit. Jason and Ryan cooked an awesome feast of crab legs and shrimp. Yum! Kay Lynne brought us the cutest clothes from Baby Gap!

I got to get out of the house for an hour or two on both Saturday and Sunday because my wonderful husband took care of Charlotte for me. I don't think I was really supposed to be driving yet, but I needed to get out. I was going stir crazy. I just went and ran a few errands and I went up to my office to get my computer.

This week has been good, but tough at times. We have our good nights and bad nights. Lately, Charlotte has been sleeping so much during the day and then around 9-11pm, she is wide awake. Jason is so much better at getting her to go to sleep than I am. She sleeps pretty good but then around 4am the past few days she has been waking up and not wanting to go back to sleep. I've been trying to keep her up more often during the day so she will sleep more soundly at night, but yesterday that was impossible. We had an ultrasound for her hips at 7am (it was originally supposed to be on Tuesday but they said she has to be at least 2 weeks old). Then we had her 2 week checkup at 10. Charlie was really not happy at her checkup. 1) She hates being undressed to get weighed; 2) They had to prick her foot yet again for her 2 week screening. Poor baby - she was pissed! The good news is that her ultrasound came back normal. And her weight is up to 8 lbs 6.5 oz. I asked her doctor if I am overfeeding her, and she said absolutely not. That's good to know. So after such an eventful morning, Charlie, mommy, and daddy were all super tired. I pretty much had to wake her up to feed her yesterday because she was so sleepy. We did go for our first stroll around the neighborhood yesterday. Charlie absolutely loves being in her carseat and the stroller was no different. I really wish I had videotaped our walk because her facial expressions were hilarious! It wasn't a very long walk because even at 8:30pm, it was still rather hot. Hopefully, we will make our walks more frequent. I know Avril enjoys them. She has been lacking in mommy attention lately.

So now it's Friday. My mom and sister have been over since this morning. They brought us some goodies and I got to look at pictures from Jen and Dean's honeymoon (oh my goodness - how it made me jealous to want to go on a trip so bad). Jason's mom is going to come up tomorrow afternoon and watch Charlie so mommy and daddy can go have a little adult time. We have not spent any alone time together since before she was born. I've given Charlie a bottle twice, and she is a pro so I don't think Grandma Nette will have any problems with her. Just a few hours of getting out of the house is going to be so nice.

I'm hoping to start venturing out with Charlotte soon. I don't plan on taking her anywhere too crowded, but it would be nice to just be able to run small errands with her. Plus, we definitely have to make a trip up to my office soon to meet everyone.

But I just wanted to let everyone know we are surviving. It is so true that you don't truly understand how hard and rewarding being a mother is until you actually are one. There are days where I think I can't cry anymore because I'm just so tired and I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. And then other days, everything is super easy and I feel like "what the hell was wrong with me the other day."

I will say one thing though - I think Jason knows what he is doing more than me. He can seriously make her stop crying so much easier than me. I think she might be on her way to becoming a daddy's girl.

Hanging out in the mama roo


Deep in thought


Playing in my summer dress

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything is going well! Glad to be aware of the ups and downs too! I have a feeling I'm going to go stir crazy from being in the house for so long.

    My plan is after the baby comes, to take lots of walks to get back in shape. Plus, I know our dog, Mason, will really need them. He's the center of attention right now and boy, is that about to change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is too adorable! So glad your second week has been smoother than the first!!! Enjoy your time off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a blog post :) She is absolutely adorable! I could just eat her up. Can't wait to meet her eventually. Hang in there girlie - it gets easier and you wonder how you ever had a life before her! And just remember, no matter how bad you think you may be at doing "mommy" things on any given day, your precious miracle knows no different - she thinks you are the best thing ever and you are :) JZ

    ReplyDelete