Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Sad Goodbye

Last Thursday, we got the sad news that Jason's grandfather had passed away. He had been in the nursing home for the last couple of years, so we didn't see him as often as we had in years past. But we did get to see him over Christmas, so we are thankful for that and that he got to see Charlie.

Jason's grandparents live in Hallettsville, so that is where we spent the majority of our weekend. I must say, the whole ordeal made out for an interesting time. If it had just been me and Jason, everything would have been smooth sailing, but throw a toddler in the mix and all bets are off.

Charlie loves Jason's grandma's house. It's out in the country and there are chickens and cows. She goes nuts. Plenty of space to run around and lots to look at. Although Saturday it was way too cold for her to be out there much, but we got to play out there for a while Sunday morning.

So I am ashamed to admit, we don't go to church very much. We have never really found a church in Austin that suits us. I guess you get used to going to the same church every weekend for 18 years of your life, and then it seems weird/strange to go somewhere else. Then with Charlie it became more about not getting anything out of church because I'm tending to her the whole time. Anyway, it is something I would like to get back into soon, but that is beside the point. I got sidetracked. The whole reason for mentioning that was that my child who is very strong-willed and high spirited was going to church not once, but twice, and one of those times being right around her bedtime.

We had the rosary Saturday night. Luckily this church had a cry room, so all the grandkids with little ones sat up there. The kids colored, played on their ipads, and ate. Everyone did pretty good. We went back to Jason's grandma's afterwards, and oh my goodness. I just love seeing C with other kids. There were 2 older cousins who were "babysitting" Charlie and it was so funny. They each held one of her hands and she was eating it up - laughing and smiling like it was the best thing ever. At one point they were trying to get her to go to sleep - I think they were pretending it was their daycare or something. They have wild imaginations. We were over there til 11pm.

So mix and overtired baby who didn't get a full nap with a hotel room with weird smells and sounds and you get ZERO sleep for the whole family. Oh yeah. Awesome. And then a baby that gets up at the crack of dawn and wants to go "outside." I feel bad for the maid that got our room. Charlie tore that place up!

Charlie did pretty good during the funeral - the church part at least. But it was rather long, so we headed outside toward the end because she was getting pretty loud. Now at the cemetary, she was a mess. She just wanted to run free. And she got to do that once we got to the reception. Holy cow y'all. I saw a side of this kid that daycare sees everyday I'm sure. There were quite a few kids there around her age so it was a zoo, and it was hilarious.

The funeral was very nice, and there were so many people there. It was nice seeing pictures of Jason's grandpa in his prime and hearing the nice stories people told about him. He was a WWII veteran I always think it is so neat to have the American flag draped over the casket and to hear the other vets play taps at the cemetary. Very moving.

I'm so glad we got to see everyone, but I just wish it had been for a happier occassion. We didn't get home til about 8pm last night - which doesn't seem late, but I'm telling you that I was exhausted and the last thing I wanted to do was unpack. Gross. Unpacking is the worst. And my house is a disaster.

I don't know if I mentioned it last week, but my coworker, who is pregnant with twins, had to go on bedrest unexpectedly last week. She was in the midst of training me on her work so that I could do it when she is gone. Let's just say I wasn't 100% ready for her to leave yet, but things happen. So life has been very crazy for me over the past week, and I assume it will be that way for a while. I'll get through it though, and look I still have time to blog! :)

Eating donuts in the hotel room

Power nap at great grandmas

Playing with Kennedy

Charlie, Jason, Jason's mom, and Jason's grandparents at Easter 2012


She loves her hair in pigtails. Precious!


No comments:

Post a Comment