I had taken Monday off so I thought, why not - if she has a bad night, at least I'm not going to work tomorrow. So we converted her crib to a toddler/day bed. I also took her changing pad off the dresser (she's too long for it anyway) and I reorganized her room. I tried to get certain toys out of the way that she might be tempted to get up and play with during the night.
We put her to bed earlier that night because of her lack of sleep over the weekend. She immediately got out of bed and went to the door and started hitting it and screaming. I set the timer for 3 minutes and when it went off I went in there and tried to calm her down. She wouldn't stop crying long enough for me to talk to her, but daddy came in and gave her a pep talk along the lines of "You're a big girl now, and this is what big girls do." After that, she laid in bed and never got out! Easy peasy! :) It went better than I could have hoped.
| Right after I took the rail off - she was a little confused. |
| Pretending to go night night. |
| Well rested after her first night in her big girl bed! Yay Charlie! |
The second night, she did not want to go to bed (which is normal) but there was no getting out of bed at all. Once she got in, she never got out. At 1am I woke up and I looked on the monitor and Charlie was on the floor (the toddler bed doesn't have a half rail like some others - it's completely bare). I went to move her and she was just sleeping so hard. I never heard her cry when she fell out so maybe she actually woke up and moved down there. I don't know. I asked her this morning if she fell and she said "yes." I asked her if it hurt and she said "no." I can never believe her answers though - she is a known fibber.
So it looks like we are done with the crib! Wow! How exciting. Now I'm going to do some general updates since she is such a big girl these days.
Sleeping - obviously doing well in this department. She never wants to go to bed, but once there she conks out fairly quickly. I have to wake her up most mornings for school.
Potty training - well I've been slacking in this area. Over the holiday, we were just too busy to focus on it. I'm hoping to get back on board with it soon. I often ask her if she needs to potty and she almost always says no. I find that if she is playing she doesn't want to stop to go sit on the potty. The only time she really likes to sit there is right before bathtime.
Eating - she is starting to become a pickier eater. She used to pretty much eat whatever I put in front of her, but now not so much. Somedays she likes a particular food, and the next she wants nothing to do with it. It's quite annoying. This girl loves milk and I try to give her more water, but she is very aware of the difference and gets really mad.
Speech - out of control. She talks so much and strings sentences together I couldn't have even imagined. Yesterday I was putting my running shoes on and she said "I wanna go running to. I put my shoes on." Ha. She sings constantly - especially in the car. She really likes to sing the songs from Doc McStuffins but she'll usually blend them together - it's funny. She recently learned "Ring Around the Rosie." She knows most of her colors and can count to 13. After that I can't really tell what she is saying - it all kind of sounds like 13.
Other - she recently learned how to jump with both feet off the ground. She prefers to land on her bottom (ouch) but she can land on her feet when she wants to. She hates to have bows in her hair. She will pull them out after about 5 minutes. She likes pigtails though. She is really into shoes. She is pretty good about being able to put them on herself.
Favorites - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Ratatouille, milk, macaroni and cheese, fruit snacks, baby Stella, any song from the movie Rio, any book with Elmo in it.
I love her age right now. Sometimes she is needy and wants to be held (always while I'm trying to cook) and she can throw a fit when you take something away from her. But most of the time she is a sweet, energetic, ball of fun. I love her to pieces and I really dread her growing up.



What a big girl!!! I can't believe she's in a big girl bed! I dread the day when we decide to convert Lucas' crib to a toddler bed.
ReplyDeleteKim - I was so hesitant, but she could not be doing better! I'm so proud of her!
ReplyDelete