Monday, March 21, 2011

Childbirth Class

This weekend went by way too fast - most likely because the majority of yesterday was spent in childbirth class. It was from 2-8pm. I was looking forward to it, but I was really tired yesterday so around 1pm I was like "why did I register for this!?" Jason was not looking forward to it, mostly because it meant he was going to miss the Texas basketball game. They ended up losing so maybe it's better we didn't get to watch the whole thing (we snuck in a a few minutes here and there on Jason's phone).

So back to the class. There were around 15 couples - that's a lot of pregnancy hormones. The due dates ranged from late April to mid July. I LOVED the teacher. She is a labor and delivery nurse at my hospital, and I really hope I get her because she was super nice and laidback. She claims all of the nurses at our hospital are like her, but I don't want to take my chances! :) Jason and I both feel like we learned so much. It was really helpful especially becasue it was catered to how things work at our hospital. We got to figure out exactly what to do and where to go when we are in labor. We did get to watch a few live births on video - I could have managed without that part. Some of the dads' faces were priceless though. My favorite part of the class was the tour of the hospital. I like being prepared so it was nice to see where everything is going to go down. I was pleasantly surprised by how big the rooms are. Plenty of room for visitors without feeling cramped. In fact, we fit all 15 couples plus the nurse in the room while she was showing it to us.

After the class, Jason asked me if I was more nervous. I told him I was actually more excited. While we were touring, there were a couple of women in labor walking the halls or we would see the dad to be going to get ice chips. I was like "man I wish that was us right now." We are both really glad we took the class because I think it took a lot of the anixety about the unknown away. However, I did have a ton of labor dreams last night. Needless to say, the first thing I did this morning was throw an old towel in my car - I just know my water is going to break in public. Ha.

I'm really hoping this week flies by. This weekend is my sister's bachelorette party in Galveston. I'm pretty sure we are going to have an amazing time! I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the class was good. Ive talked Charlie into going to one so hopefully it'll be good too! You guys have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete