Friday, January 14, 2011

The great day care search

Ok - definitely one of the most stressful parts of this pregnancy so far. Everything is expensive, or there are waiting lists, or I don't like the place or ALL OF THE ABOVE!! Actually, usually it's the first two.

I have only visited 3 day cares so far, but that's just in 1 week. I have 2 more tours scheduled next week already. So far I'm finding that the ones I like are the most expensive - DUH! Then there's the waiting lists to compete with. I thought I was starting early! Sheesh. I did visit a day care today though that I really like and there are currently no infants down for August! Yes! I need to talk to Jason this weekend about my findings. I at least want to get down at 1 place soon - it would make me feel a lot better. I mean...my biggest fear is that August will come around and I have no place to take this baby! All my Austin friends tell me it will work out. In fact, my old co-worker didn't find her day care until she was already on maternity leave. At least I'm doing the leg work now. I kind of felt this same way when we were buying a house - like there were things I liked/disliked about all of the houses so if I could just take the parts I liked and mesh them into one perfect house then we would be great! I wish I could do that with day cares.

I think the part that is helping me is the accountant part of me. I have a massive color-coded spreadsheet of every day care within a 10 mile radius of our house that is registered with the state of Texas. Oh yeah - be jealous. I also have a binder with dividers for each day care I tour with a checklist of items I want to cover. It's been very helpful. What I'm finding though is that all the day cares have the main important things - like CPR/first aid certification, sanitization process, 4:1 ratio, etc. It's the little things that are driving me crazy though. This one stays open later so it's more convenient, but this other one will teach your baby sign language and spanish. Too many things to think about. I cannot wait until this part is over. If I could be done by the end of January I would LOVE it. So that is my goal.

On a happier note - it is Friday! Yay. And we are going to look at baby furniture tomorrow! Double yay!

Have a great weekend! xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Geeez, I got stressed just reading this post. Calm down sister. It will all work out and if all else fails, you know Mon wil always take care of little Samson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel your pain. Charlie and I toured two daycares on Wednesday. Stressful and Expensive are my two words of choice. And both have really long waiting lists so we are on both and hopefully we get in to one or else little bit will be coming to work with me! HA
    -Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't all of you guys just move to EC and Aunt Jenna will open her own daycare for all of you - ha! :) jz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna - find me and J jobs in EC and you have a deal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate! I remember my first daycare hunt experience. I sat in the parking lot for about fifteen minutes after the tour and cried!
    Now I have found the perfect one! It will all work out!

    ReplyDelete