Monday, January 10, 2011

Ultrasound

We had our 20 week ultrasound today. It was so amazing. It made me feel so good to see the little one just wiggling around so much. The tech had us close our eyes when she went to check the gender. I asked Jason if he peeked and promised he didn't. Haha.

We had a minor hiccup during the ultrasound. The very last thing she checked was the umbilical cord. What I learned today is that most umbilical cords have 2 arteries going to the baby, whereas our umbilical cord only has 1. This happens in 1% of pregnancies. Worrier by nature, I was freaking out on the inside, but trying to keep my composure. The tech said she didn't see anything else that would indicate a problem - the organs all looks great, the brain, the heart, everything was measuring up to par. In fact, the baby is measuring 4 days ahead of my due date. We had to wait til the doctor got there to find out more (this is not my normal doctor - this guy is a perinatal specialist). Anyway, the doctor (super nice guy) told us not to worry. The main concern for us is that the baby will come early or be smaller. Since there is only one artery taking blood to the baby, the concern is that the baby won't get enough nutrients from me to grow like it should. However, most of the time when one artery fails or isn't there, the other one works overtime so there is no decrease in the amount of nutrients to the baby. Last year he had 13 babies with the SUA (Single Umbilical Artery). 12 of the 13 were born full term at 7-8 pounds. 1 was born early at a smaller weight. Right now all this means is that I have to go to the doctor more often so they can monitor the baby's growth. I'll be seein my regular doctor for my normal OB appointments. Then I'll go once a month to Dr. Berry to do an ultrasound to measure Baby P. This does not bother me one bit. Going to the doctor puts me at ease so I will glady go twice a month.

So how am I feeling? Well if you know me and Jason, you would know by now that nothing comes "easy" to us. Somehow we end of being the 1% for a lot of things - why can't it just be good things like the lottery?!? Honestly I think Jason and I both handled the news really well. We both realize there are a million things that could have been detected on that ultrasound - and everything I heard from the doctor is that we have one perfectly healthy, amazing little baby. Of course I'm going to worry about my little one coming too early or being too small, but if I wasn't worrying about that, it would be something else.

Jason told me from the moment I got pregnant, that he didn't think we were going to be the couple that had the perfectly normal, easy pregnancy. I guess we just like to keep things interesting.

Oh and I'm still fighting a nasty cold so I am working from home today. This way I don't have to get out in the weather anymore than I have to and I have an endless supply of orange juice.

Ok now for the good part - baby pictures! :) Oh and the heartbeat today was 153bpm.


As you can see from the pics, baby was having too much fun looking at us, he or she did not give us a profile shot! We did get to see his or her little arms and legs moving around like crazy. I have a usb drive, with a lot of face pictures and then some video of the baby moving around and some video of the legs and other parts. The gender parts were left out, obviously! It was so fun to watch the little one wiggle around on the screen. At least the good part about all of this, is that I will get to see the little one more often! 

3 comments:

  1. Love the pics. I hate using "it" so I'm calling the baby Samson for now. It fits perfectly for you and I think it's a boy more and more everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one cute little peanut!!!! I can't believe you didn't peek I so would have! I'm saying girl! -Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Don't worry, we've had our share of hiccups and every other pregnant person I've talked to has had their share too. Sometimes I think with all the extra technology we have these days, only brings more worry but sounds like you handled it well and you're going to have a perfectly healthy baby boy...or girl!!

    ReplyDelete