Thursday, June 27, 2013

First Trip to the Dentist

A while back I decided I was going to take Charlie to the dentist shortly after she turned 2. I figured if anything, they might help me figure out a way to get her to brush her teeth better. She does OK, but I just don't feel like she does a great job, and she only lets me help some of the time.

So today was the big day. I was a little worried - thinking she would just have a complete meltdown or bite someone. But she proved me wrong and did great! First Miss Brandy came in and let Charlie pick out a new toothbrush - she was kind of shy so I jusst picked one for her. Then she showed Charlie how the chair goes up and down - and someone thought that was really neat. Then Miss Brandy showed Charlie all the different tools and let her touch them. She asked Charlie if she could brush her teeth using her new toothbrush and Charlie said yes. So first she just kind of showed Charlie how to brush her teeth properly. Then she asked if she could brush her teeth with toothpaste (watermelon flavor) with the spinning brush tool. Charlie said no, so Miss Brandy put the toothpaste on the regular toothbrush and did it that way. Miss Brandy said hardly any kids let her use the brush tool on the first visit.

Then Dr. Mary came in and counted Charlie's teeth and took a look at them. She said all looks well right now. She did mention that Charlie has a muscle/skin flap thing in between her front 2 teeth. I had already noticed this since I was born with it too. I had mine removed when I was about 10 years old. However, Dr. Mary said they don't usually remove them now at least until the kids are done with braces. I never had braces so there were no worries there. So we'll see what happens with Charlie as she gets older - another awesome thing she inherited from me! :)

So then Charlie was sent on her wait with a bag of dental goodies and trip to the treasure chest. She just couldn't decide what she wanted but finally settled on a little car. She did so good and I'm very proud of her. Who would have thought her first dentist visit would be before her first haircut. Ha.

Checking out all the toys in the waiting room

Not a fan of this tool - I wish I had more pics but shortly after this one Charlie wanted to sit in my lap for the rest of the visit

Treasure chesst time!

No comments:

Post a Comment